Lenovo at CES 2019: 43.4-Inch Curved Monitors for Gaming and Workby Anton Shilov on January 10, 2019 5:00 PM EST
Large-sized curved displays with a 32:10 aspect ratio have been gaining traction in the recent years both among gamers and professionals. At CES Lenovo introduced its own Legion Y44w and ThinkVision P44w ultra-wide LCDs aimed at gaming and professional applications. Both monitors have a number of similarities, yet are tailored for the said market segments.
Lenovo’s Legion Y44w and ThinkVision P44w displays use curved 43.4-inch panels featuring a 3840×1200 resolution as well as 450 nits brightness. The LCDs carry VESA’s DisplayHDR 400 badge and therefore support HDR10 format. The two monitors come equipped with two USB 3.1 Gen 1 & Gen 2 Type-C ports with 90 W power delivery (across two ports) to connect two PCs, something that might be useful both in home and office environments, as well as a pop-down dual-port USB hub to connect to peripherals.
The gaming-oriented Legion Y44w supports AMD FreeSync 2 HDR-focused dynamic refresh rate technology with a maximum refresh rate of up to 144 Hz along with a 4 ms response time. Additionally, it has a detachable Harman Kardon-certified speaker and an aggressive-looking stand.
By contrast, the productivity-focused ThinkVision P44w monitor has an integrated KVM switch and supports picture-by-picture capability, essentially allowing to use two PCs seamlessly on one display. Lenovo points out that one 43.4-inch panel with a 3840×1200 resolution provides the same amount of screen real estate (as well as the number of pixels) as two 24-inch monitors with a 1920×1200 resolution. The LCD uses a rather conservatively-designed stand in a bid to match designs of office environments.
Lenovo’s Legion Y44W display is set to hit the market this April at a price of $1,200. The ThinkVision P44w will be available around the same time, but will be priced higher at $1,300.
- LG to Demo UltraWide 38-Inch 144Hz Gaming & 49-Inch Workstation Displays at CES
- LG’s 34UC89G 21:9 Curved Display with G-Sync, 144 to 166 Hz, Available for $999
- Dell U4919DW Curved Display Unveiled: 49 Inches, 5120x1440
- Philips Preps 499P9H Curved 49-Inch 5K Display with USB-C Docking & Webcam
- ASUS Demonstrates ProArt PA34V Professional Curved UWQHD Display with TB3
- Samsung Unveils CJ79 & CJ89 Curved LCDs: Quantum Dots, TB3 & USB-C
- MSI’s 49” Optix Curved Display and Oculux 25” High Refresh Monitors Announced